Tuesday, September 1, 2026

A Thank You Letter to the People Who Made Me Who I am

Dear you, 
    Yes, you. And you. And even you. This letter is for the people who have crossed my path and, whether you realized it or not, left something behind. Some of you left love. Some left lessons. Some left scars. Some left laughter that I still remember even years later. Some left so quietly that I didn't realize your absence was a lesson until much later. And some of you probably have no idea that you helped shape the person that I am today. So, this is a thank you. Not because everything you did was right. Not because every relationship was healthy. Not because every goodbye was easy. But because somewhere along the way, each of you became a sentence in the story of who I am. And I've learned that you don't have to be grateful for what happened to be grateful for what you learned from it. 

    Thank you to the people who loved me well. You taught me what it feels like to be known and still chosen. You showed me that love doesn't always have to be loud. Sometimes it is a phone call, a meal, a ride home, a hand on my shoulder when words aren't enough. You showed me that there are people who will celebrate my victories without secretly competing with me. People who will sit with me in my worst moments without making me feel like a burden. People who will remind me of who I am when I've temporarily forgotten. Because of you, I learned that love can be safe. And perhaps more importantly, I learned what kind of person I want to be for someone else.

    Thank you to the people who hurt me. This one is harder, because I do not want to romanticize pain. I don't want to pretend that being hurt was necessary or that what happened to me was somehow okay because something good eventually came from it. Some things simply hurt. Some people should have treated me better. Some apologies never came. Some doors closed without explanation. And some wounds took much longer to heal from than I thought they should. But somewhere in the middle of healing, I learned things about myself. I learned that I could survive things I once thought would destroy me. I learned that forgiveness doesn't always mean reconciliation. I learned that boundaries aren't cruelty. I learned that someone's inability to love me properly was never proof that I was unlovable. And I learned that I don't want to become the kind of person who hurts people simply because I have been hurt. So, thank you - not for the pain itself, but for the lessons I carried out of it.

    Thank you to the people who left. There are people whose names I don't say anymore. Not because I hate them, and not because I wish them poorly. But because their chapter in my life ended, and that's okay. For a long time, I thought every ending needed an explanation. I thought closure had to come from another conversation, another apology, another chance to say everything I never got to say. I've learned that sometimes closure is simply accepting that something ended. Some people are meant to walk beside us for years. Some for seasons. Some for only a few pages. And just because someone wasn't meant to stay doesn't mean their presence was meaningless. Thank you for the season. Thank you for the memories. Thank you for the version of me that existed while you were there. And thank you for teaching me that letting go isn't always losing. Sometimes it's making room.

    Thank you to the people who believed in me before I believed in myself. You saw something in me that I couldn't see. You encouraged me when I was convinced I was not capable. You reminded me that I had something worth saying. You celebrated little victories that felt insignificant to everyone else. You told me to keep going when quitting would've been easier. Maybe you don't even realize how much those moments mattered, but they did. Sometimes we become who we are because someone else was willing to believe in us until we learned how to believe in ourselves.Y ou were part of that for me and I will always be grateful.

    Thank you to the people who challenged me. Not everyone who challenged me was trying to tear me down. Some of you loved me enough to tell me the truth. You questioned my assumptions. You called me out when I was wrong. You refused to let me stay comfortable simply because comfortable was easier. I didn't always appreciate it at the time. Actually, sometimes I really didn't appreciate it. But growth rarely feels comfortable while it's happening. You taught me that being a good person doesn't always mean being right. That changing my mind is not weakness and that apologizing didn't make me smaller. And that sometimes the most loving thing someone can do is tell us the truth we don't want to hear.

    Thank you to the people who made me laugh. Because not every lesson has to be painful. Some of you gave me memories that still make me smile. The ridiculous conversations, the inside jokes, the nights that turned into mornings. The moments that made absolutely no sense but somehow became unforgettable. Thank you for reminding me that life isn't meant to be taken seriously every second of every day. Thank you for the laughter, the ridiculousness, the memories I didn't know would become memories when they were happening. There is something beautiful about realizing that some of the ordinary moments we barely noticed were actually some of the best parts of our lives.

    Thank you to the people who taught me what I don't want to become. That may sound strange, but you taught me too. You showed me what bitterness looks like. What pride looks like. What manipulation looks like. What happens when someone refuses to take responsibility for their actions. You showed me the consequences of living without grace. And while I never want to become like the people who hurt me, I also don't want to spend my life defined by them. So I took the lesson and left the rest behind. I learned what kind of person I don't want to be and I started becoming intentional about who I do want to be.

    Thank you to the people who prayed for me. Some of you prayed when I didn't know how to pray for myself. You prayed when I was tired, confused, hurting. You prayed for me when I was trying to figure out where God was in the middle of everything. And maybe I never told you how much that meant...so let me tell you now. Thank you. There are some battles we don't even realize we were being carried through because someone else was faithfully bringing our name before God. I will never take that kind of love lightly.

    And thank you to the person I used to be. I almost forgot about you. The younger version of me who didn't know what I know now. The girl who made so many mistakes. Who trusted the wrong people. Who sometimes stayed too long or left too quickly. Who didn't always know how to speak up or how to say no. Or even how to say no loud enough for it to make a difference. Who had dreams she eventually abandoned and dreams she eventually rediscovered. Who thought she had to have everything figured out. Who didn't understand that becoming yourself isn't something that happens overnight. Thank you for making mistakes and for even trying. Thank you for surviving the days you weren't sure you could. Thank you for getting back up. Thank you for continuing to believe that there had to be something more. I don't look back on you with embarrassment anymore, I look back with tenderness. You were doing the best you could with what you knew. And because you kept going, I get to be here now.

    And finally, thank you, God. Because when I look back at my life, I see people. But when I look a little closer, I see Your fingerprints too. I see the doors that closed and the doors that opened. The relationships that changed me. I see the prayers that weren't answered the way I wanted, while also seeing the moments I thought were endings that turned out to be beginnings. The places that I was certain I was alone, only to realize later that You had never left. You used people to touch my life. You used experiences to grow me. You used heartbreak to soften places in me that had become hard. You used love to remind me that through my relationship with Jesus, I am worth loving. You used loss to teach me how to hold things loosely. And somehow, through all of it, You kept making me. You're still making me. Because I don't think becoming who we're meant to be is ever really finished on this side of Heaven. We're all still becoming, still learning, still unlearning, still healing and growing. Still figuring out what to carry and what to leave behind. 

    So to every person who has been a part of my story: Thank you. Thank you for the good, the lessons, the laughter, the memories, and the moments that changed me. And even for the moments that broke me open enough for God to begin rebuilding something better. I don't need every chapter to have been beautiful to appreciate the story. I don't need every person to have treated me well to acknowledge that they have helped shape me. And I don't need to keep everyone in my life to be grateful that they were once in it. Some people gave me pieces of themselves, some gave me pieces of wisdom. Some gave me pieces of their heart while some gave me scars. Yet somehow, God took all of those pieces and made something out of them. Something that is still becoming. Something imperfect and still under construction. But something I am learning to love.

So, if you've ever been part of me life - even briefly - thank you. You helped make me who I am. And I hope that someday, when I look back at the life I have lived, I can say the same thing about the people I've encountered: I didn't just pass through their lives. I left them with something good, too. Because perhaps that's the real goal. Not to be remembered by everyone and not to be liked by everyone or even leave behind a perfect legacy. But to have loved people well enough that somewhere, in some small way, their lives are a little better because we were there. That's the kind of person I want to become. And perhaps that's the greatest thank you I could ever give.

No comments:

Post a Comment