I know that in my profile I made sure to mention my obsession with plants, but it isn't an obsession I have always had. Sure I thought they were pretty, but I was always worried that I would end up killing them and then I would become a serial plant killer, and that just did not sound like a good thing to put on my plate. If I wanted to "liven up" the place, I was happy to get fake plants. Something that would never need my attention, would never depend on me in order to thrive, could never look sad or die, and would never change. But then I got to thinking about it a little deeper recently...
How many of us want to be like fake plants? We never want to run the risk of looking anything less than our best to others. We don't like the thought of having to depend on someone else in order to reach our full potential. We are content with staying the same, day in and day out, never changing and never growing. We would be totally fine with staying exactly as we are, because we convince ourselves that it is safer that way and there is little to no risk if we stay in our little bubble and pretend that what we are today is the best we can ever be so why even take a chance for change. But friend, we could not be more wrong, and here is how I have come to this conclusion;
I will use myself as an example, simply because I never want to speak something over someone else if it is not uplifting and life bringing.
If I never wanted to look anything less than my best, I would be living an out right lie. Rarely am I at my best, therefore I would have to live a life of pretend anytime I was around someone. NOT HEALTHY.
If I did not want to depend on someone else in order to learn about and reach my full potential, I would have missed out on so many opportunities. I would not be able to lead worship if I was still who I was years ago, because I can't lead people to a place that I have never been. Without depending on God Himself to help me reach my full potential, I am useless at best. NOT SMART.
If I would have been content staying the same, day in and day out, never looking for ways to be at least 1% better every day, I would still be the scared and depressed little kid who hated herself and every one around her. I would be living a life that would be leading me straight to hell because I was ignorant of the Lord. I was not living a life that honored God, it was about myself and what I wanted, and that was such a damaging way to be. If I chose to remain stagnant, I would have never truly given my life to the Lord. NOT SAFE.
Life is meant to be lived, and in order to be alive we have to welcome change and growth. We were never meant to be stagnant and remain a selfish creation. We are given an out, a life line, and it came to us in the form of nail scarred hands. Jesus came and took our sin and shame, so that we could learn how to live a life of sacrifice and honor. He gives us the chance to come to Him daily and ask for His help so that we can walk upright and grow in grace. Jesus wants us to understand that in our weakness, His strength is able to carry us to places we could never reach on our own. Because of what He did for you and for me, we are empowered to burst that little bubble we have be living in and THRIVE.
Now let's circle back to the houseplants I currently have and some of the things they have taught me.
My first plant that I ever successfully kept alive was a Spider Plant. Spider Plants are very forgiving and they are super easy for beginners, and that is what I needed. I needed a plant that would allow me to make mistakes, but would give me the chance to learn what it needs in order to grow to its potential. And the gifts a Spider Plant gives back to its care taker are wonderful. They purify the air around them and they are safe to have in a home with pets, as they are non-toxic. They are natural humidifiers because they release moisture into the air through transpiration, so they are great to have in dry indoor spaces. They are easy to propagate when they are thriving, because once they mature, they will produce "Spiderettes" (baby plants) and they will literally give you new Spider Plants FOR FREE.My absolute favorite plant to have inside is a Pothos. They are nearly impossible to kill while offering significant perks. They too offer air purification, humidity control, and are also very easy to propagate. But they are also very low maintenance, and are insanely forgiving of occasional neglect, as well as being able to thrive in a variety of indoor environments. They also help with mental wellbeing and provide living decor for your space. Surrounding yourself with greenery can help reduce stress, enhance your mood, and improve focus. SIGN ME UP (you should see my office...plants everywhere because I need all the help I can get).
If you want something that provides both air purification and humidity regulation, while also having enhanced aesthetics and something to boost your mood, I suggest a Petra Croton. It's glossy leaves that have striking veins of red, orange, yellow, and green, it can serve as a stunning focal point to indoor spaces. I mean who doesn't want to have a beautiful focal point in their home? Lastly, I am learning more and more about my Ti Plant. Between the benefits of air quality, traditional medicine, versatile culinary and practical use (I won't be cooking this plant, but it is still incredible information to know), aesthetic appeal, and even spiritual and Feng Shui value.
In total, I own thirty-nine plants at the time of this post. Each one has its benefits and perks, and knowing that when I take care of them, they will give back to me is everything and more. You want to talk to me but are not sure what to say? Ask me about my plants. Tell you want to know what types I have and I can talk to you forever about them.
But yeah, I went from fake plants to real plants, and it has changed my perspective on so many things. Plants are a gift and one day I hope to be able to have such an abundance that I run out of room and am able to gift them to others and share the love and benefits of these incredible things.
Who knows, maybe you've learned something here and realize how you too can relate to these plants and can have a new found passion for them as well. I hope that you are able to see the lessons that my plants have taught me. Patience through slow growth, the importance of unseen roots, resilience through changing seasons, and the need to always turn towards the Light.
Remember to grow, to allow change (as long as it is good change), and to be resilient. God has you.
No comments:
Post a Comment