Sunday, August 2, 2026

When Taking Care of Things Feels Like a Thankless Job


Every single one of us have chores that we have to take care of on a weekly basis, and sometimes it truly can feel like a thankless job. I have days where the last thing I want to do is vacuum the thousands of dog hairs off my couch or clean out my bathroom sink. I definitely do not enjoy having to clean out the litter boxes and folding clothes is my least favorite of all. But when I step back and think about this, each of these things is a blessing that often gets overlooked by myself and others who typically despise household chores. 

These things are blessings in the fact that I even HAVE a couch that I get to clean and maintain, taking care of such an investment. Without my couch, it would make hosting friends and family a bit harder because there would not be anywhere comfortable for them to sit. So when vacuuming the couch, I have the opportunity to first thank the Lord that I had the finances to be able to purchase the type of couch I wanted, and then I get to pray over every future person that will sit in these seats and spend time there. I get to pray for their well being and that they feel so loved when they are visiting. That is special. 

If I did not have a sink that needed to be cleaned, where would I stand every day with my husband next to me while brushing my teeth? Where would I get ready on Sunday mornings, knowing that I am going to worship with people I love and that I will experience the presence of God? I have reasons to be grateful that I have a sink with running water, as it is a privilege and not a right. 

While again there is not much to enjoy about cleaning litter boxes and the hide-aways in which they stay, I know that I am the reason these cats have a home where they are warm, fed, safe, and loved. I can remind myself that three out of the four are truly rescues that may not have made it far in this life if I did not get the chance to step in and intervene. I picked Fig out of a litter, and went back for her sister Clementine when the original people failed to show up for her. I saved Plum in the winter at a random Dollar General where she was skin and bones, starving for food and affection. Now she is a very plump Plum. And Scar, I watched him run across highway 431 in Albertville at six o'clock in the morning and get hit. I was the only person who stopped and went back for him. He would not have made it out of that road alive if I would not have pulled into the turn lane and ran down the middle of that highway to get him. So taking care of their liter boxes is my way of being able to love and take care of the creatures God created. That is incredibly special.

Gun to my head, folding clothes isn't the worst thing in the world, but it makes my back hurt and I hurt enough without the added help. But again, I get to be grateful that I have clothes to wear and a washer and dryer in which to clean them and rewear them with confidence. So instead of grumbling, when I decide to take on that chore and give Justin a break, I get to pray over every shirt and pair of pants that we will wear in the days to come and help ensure that we are wearing the armor of God each day. How cool is that?



Finding ways to see the blessings in the chores and responsibilities we have can change a lot about how we are inside the walls of our home. And our homes are our first ministry. Private victories in patience, love, and grace in your home must come before public leadership. 

I pray that this will help you view your chores differently and makes it easier to see Jesus and the many blessings you have in this life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment